Experts in all storage systems
Ontrack engineers have vast knowledge of all storage technology and can successfully recover data from the oldest to the most recent DAS, SAN, NAS and SDS configurations on the market. We support all vendors, media formats and operating systems.
Data recovery from all NAS storage systems
Our experts have over 25 years of experience in the data recovery of NAS servers.
With specially developed data collection tools and techniques, our experts can quickly restore your lost data on any system. This applies to all types of NAS servers and RAID levels, all RAID controllers, all drives regardless of whether HDD or SSD and no matter what manufacturer. Ontrack works directly with most manufacturers to achieve the best recovery results possible. Some of these manufacturers include:
|Rackmount Storage Systems||Promise Technology||QNAP®||Seagate®||Synology®|
If you do not see the manufacturer you are looking for listed here, please contact us on +44 (0)1372 741 999 for a complete list.
How does data loss happen in a NAS system?
Each data loss has its own story, but there are common scenarios that require data recovery from network storage.
- Human error: Unfortunately, human error is a common cause when data is lost from a NAS. Data loss often happens accidentally due to reformatting, reinstallation, deleting or overwriting a volume.
- Power failure: NAS systems can become corrupt due to power failure, voltage fluctuations or overvoltage. RAID arrays (the storage inside the NAS) that have been in use for some time are particularly vulnerable, as voltage fluctuations can cause individual disks to be out of sync resulting in a degraded or failed RAID array.
- Overheating: Faulty cooling in the server room or an improper location in an office or at home can result in overheating and drive failures.
- Defective NAS controllers: Defective controllers can cause errors during reformats or rebuilds. Errors in the firmware or operating system caused by reconfiguring the memory can cause data loss.
- Mechanical errors: RAID systems are designed to compensate for the failure of one or more drives. As soon as a drive fails in a NAS/RAID, the remaining hard drives must compensate for the failure. Multiple drive failures can handicap the NAS/RAID to the point of complete failure.
- Natural disasters: Fire damage, water damage, pollution and other contamination can destroy a NAS in seconds. Rebuilding a contaminated system requires special knowledge and the ability to thoroughly clean individual drives and other components of the NAS. Only then can the data be restored by a logical rebuild. Ontrack has the technical proficiency to thoroughly clean and successfully restore heavily soiled media.
Emergency recovery tips
What to do if you experience a NAS drive failure
- If you hear unusual noises, you should shut down the system immediately
- Validate your backup before replacing or updating hardware or software
- Do not use RAID recovery software if there is a possibility of a hardware failure
- Do not defrag possibly damaged drives
- Do not rebuild and/or reinstall the original system. Do not restore a backup to the same volume/drives
Emergency help for NAS devices
Call us to find the fastest solution for your NAS recovery. We recover data for companies and individuals. No NAS recovery is too big or too small.
When you call we:
- Diagnose the cause of data loss and identify possible fault points
- Verify if Remote Data Recovery is possible
- Explain the data recovery process and the specifics for your individual case
Looking for more resources on our NAS data recovery capabilities? Access the Ontrack NAS Recovery Knowledge Base.
View frequently asked questions, case studies, blogs and more!
Time is an important factor
When it comes to business critical data, a NAS failure can cause huge financial damage.
Our experts always check the possibility of an Ontrack Remote Data Recovery (RDR), our fastest method of recovery. With this proprietary technology, the data is restored directly onto your server via a secure internet connection. With RDR, there is no need to dismantle the NAS server or ship the system to us; all you need is an internet connection.
NAS Case Studies
Ransomware VBK Recoveries on Tape - Server & NAS Systems
A large part of the data could still be repaired and extracted in several steps.
Later on, 19 significantly older LTO8 quick formatted tape backups were successfully recovered too.The attack also affected numerous European sub offices of the customer. Here were predominantly QNAP NAS systems in use which had stored virtual VMs under VMware, including backup VMs that were partially deleted or internally reformatted with another file system. Ontrack was also able to successfully restore complete backup data in 90% of the seven cases ordered.
Emergency service available!
We understand data can be very time sensitive, which is why we offer different service levels to meet your needs.
Standard10 business days
ExpressAverage of 3 business days
EmergencyAverage of 12-24 hours
All turnaround times are average figures and may vary depending on the complexity of the recovery work.
The data recovery process
From initial consultation to ongoing support, we help businesses and consumers in any data loss situation – from simple to the most complex and catastrophic.
When business or personal data is lost, we understand that it can be a very frustrating and stressful time. That's why our data recovery process is straightforward and transparent, and we'll keep you up to date every step of the way.
We'll collect your device and perform an evaluation, free of charge.
Data recovery for single drives and smartphones starts from £478.80 (inclusive of VAT). The final price will be determined at the end of the evaluation, according to the complexity of the work involved and the urgency required.
To begin, start by clicking on the type of media from which you need data recovered. The evaluation time for single hard drives (HDD and SSD) is four hours*, and within 24 hours for RAID systems*. Other media, such as mobile phones do not require an evaluation to provide an accurate quotation.
*These are typical time frames and apply within normal business hours (Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm). For an out of hours, emergency service, or for further assistance, please contact us on +44 (0)1372 741999.