Kroll Ontrack Donates Data Recovery Services to Hurricane Irma Victims
Kroll Ontrack and CompuCom’s Tech-Zone Providing Drop-off Locations for Florida Victims to Bring Damaged Media
MINNEAPOLIS – September 20, 2017 – In an effort to help Florida residents and businesses recover critical data from damaged media, Kroll Ontrack®, a subsidiary of KrolLDiscovery®, is donating data recovery services to those impacted by Hurricane Irma. The company is also working with Tech-Zone™, a CompuCom® company, to add emergency drop-off locations throughout Florida at which victims can drop off their damaged media, including computer hard drives, laptops, tablets, mobile devices, storage devices and more.
Individuals and businesses are encouraged to drop off damaged media at any Florida Tech-Zone location. Residents in any of the affected areas who cannot travel to a Tech-Zone location can call 800-872-2599 to arrange for free shipping of their media directly to Kroll Ontrack. Individuals will receive free data recovery service, and businesses impacted by flooding, loss of power or other damage due to the Hurricane will receive a deeply discounted flat fee for recovery of any single desktop, laptop or hard drive/Solid State Device (SSD).
"Tech-Zone is very generous to offer its locations and resources to help those impacted by Hurricane Irma recover their critical data,” said Chris Weiler, president and CEO of KrolLDiscovery. “With locations across Florida, Tech-Zone is able to help us extend our reach to those who have lost irreplaceable photographs and business-critical data and help them recover it quickly. Our hearts go out to those affected and we want to do our part to reduce the amount of loss suffered as a result of Hurricane Irma.”
For drop-off locations and more information on this offer, victims can visit a dedicated page on our website or contact Kroll Ontrack at 800-872-2599.
Kroll Ontrack advises the following safe-handling steps for storage systems which have lost data due to a power outage:
- Stop using the system immediately. Power down the system to avoid overwriting data.
- Restore any backups to a different volume; this ensures that all important files are good on the backup before possibly overwriting data on the active volume.
- If there is a Redundant Array of Independent Disks (RAID) problem, test the backup by restoring it to a different location or image each drive from the RAID before attempting a rebuild.
- Do not use file recovery software unless you have a validated backup and know your drives are not physically damaged. Using file recovery software on a faulty hard drive may destroy what was otherwise recoverable data.
- Do not create any new files on the disk needing recovery or continue to run virtual machines until the important data is recovered.
- Call a professional data recovery service for further assistance.
Tips: Kroll Ontrack recommends that people fearing loss of their vital information consider the following before assuming that the damage is permanent:
- Never assume that data is unrecoverable, no matter what it has been through.
- Never attempt to plug in or turn on water-damaged devices.
- Do not shake, disassemble or attempt to clean any hard drive or server that has been damaged; improper handling can make recovery operations more difficult which can lead to valuable information being lost.
- Never attempt to dry water-damaged media by opening it or exposing it to heat, such as from a hair dryer.
- Do not attempt to operate visibly damaged devices.
- Do not attempt to freeze-dry media.
- Do not use common software utility programs on broken or water-damaged devices.
- For mission critical situations, contact a data recovery professional before any attempts are made to reconfigure, reinstall or reformat.
About Kroll Ontrack, Inc
Kroll Ontrack provides technology-enabled services and software to help law firms, corporations, government agencies and consumers solve complex data challenges. Part of the KrolLDiscovery brand, Kroll Ontrack provides ediscovery services and market leading data recovery for any type of media – hard drives, SSD, server, RAID, virtual, cloud, mobile, tape, NAS/SAN/DAS, laptop, desktop computers and Apple devices. Additionally, through proprietary technologies and expert services around the globe, Kroll Ontrack helps clients with email extraction, tape management and data destruction. For more information about Kroll Ontrack offerings, please visit www.krollontrack.com. Or follow @KrollOntrack on Twitter.
CompuCom Systems, Inc. provides end-to-end managed services, technology and consulting to enable the digital workplace for enterprise, midsize and small businesses. Celebrating its 30th year, CompuCom delights with individualized experiences, drives workplace collaboration and productivity, and delivers operational performance and efficiency. For more information, visit www.compucom.com. Or follow @CompuCom on Twitter.
Tech-Zone FL Locations
Fort Myers, FL
Orlando, FL (South Orlando)
Tampa, FL (West Tampa)
Jennifer Duits, 952-906-4868, email@example.com
© Copywright 2017 Kroll Ontrack Inc. All Rights Reserved.
© Copyright 2017 CompuCom Systems, Inc. All Rights reserved. CompuCom is a registered trademark of CompuCom Systems, Inc.
Tech-Zone is a trademark of CompuCom, Systems, Inc.
All articles used in this press release are quoted with permission.
Global Marketing Director