We recover from all tape media:
|AIT||QIC||1/2" Open Reel|
|Cartridges||Mini data catridge||SLR|
Common causes of tape failure and data loss
Corruption: operational error, expired tapes, mishandling of the tape or accidental overwrites caused by inserting or partially formatting the wrong tape
Physical damage: broken tapes, dirty drives and damage caused by fire, flood or other natural disaster
Software upgrades: inability for data on tape to be read by new application or servers
Ontrack rescues tape
Even though tape has a great longevity for data storage, a lot can happen to make the data on them inaccessible. Our engineering team has seen it all. Some of our recoveries include:
- Overwritten tapes (including DLT)
- Quick-erased or partially overwritten data from LTO (Ultrium) tape media
- Snapped or burnt tapes
- Tapes damaged by chemicals and smoke
- Software problems or backup failures
- Tapes immersed in flood water and mud
- Intentional or accidental physical damage
Process for tape recovery
Data Recovery from tape is anything but basic. Our Ontrack Data Recovery R&D team has been building up tape recovery knowledge and resources for over 25 years. Our process below has proven success.
- Tape recoveries are performed in dust-free cleanroom environments
- Tapes and tape drives are carefully dismounted, examined and processed
- Proprietary tools are used to read and recover around any physically damaged areas
- We are able to quickly image failing tapes to ensure the most complete data recovery possible
Warning: Attempting to recover tape data on your own, or through an inexperienced data recovery provider, may lead to further damage. Select a data recovery provider with the resources, expertise and experience you can trust.
Urgent restore request for a litigation? We recover legally sound data from tape media to satisfy litigation requests. Tapes contain a snapshot of data which was present on a system at a point in time. This could include information which is no longer available in 'active' storage, especially if – in the anticipation of an investigation - efforts have been made by a suspect to manipulate or remove potentially incriminating evidence from the live system. However, this evidence can still be found via a forensic investigation of the tapes. We can recover forensically sound data quickly when urgent restore requests arise.