Tape migration for any tape format.
Moving or consolidating your magnetic tape data to a new storage system can be a stressful experience. With Ontrack’s tape migration service, we will assist you through the entire process to ensure you know what you need to migrate and what you can dispose of.
Types of Migration
If you’re looking to migrate your archive data to another storage medium, we can assist with the following services:
Tape to Tape
We can help you migrate from one tape generation to another or consolidate multiple types of tape into one common format.
Need to move your tape data to disk or another format of choice? We can migrate your data to any form of storage.
New Backup System
If you are migrating to a new backup system we can assist in aligning all of your archive tape data so that it is compatible with your new infrastructure.
How tape migration works.
As part of a tape archive migration, we can convert and consolidate your archives onto one, unified platform of choice.
Each project is tailored to your needs, but here’s just some of the services we can provide:
- Recovery of any inaccessible data
- Replication and de-duplication
- Catalog and indexing report for future data mapping
- Development of custom software and tools for the retrieval of archived data
- Conversion of your legacy media in a secure, efficient and cost-effective manner
- Accurate bit-for-bit copy of the source data, supplied back to you in the required format
Any tape format.
From reel-to-reel to the latest LTO tapes, we can cater for any type of magnetic storage, no matter how new or old the technology is.
Even if your media is damaged, our engineers can help using proprietary tape recovery techniques. Here are just some of the tape formats we support, in any generation. Can’t see yours? Don’t worry, we can still help you.
|3500 MP Series||5 to 700 GB|
AIT Series | SAIT Series
|8mm (AIT)||35 to 500 GB|
|Oracle (formerly StorageTek)|
9800 Series | 10000 Series
|40 to 1,000 GB|
DLT Series | SDLT Series
|80 to 800 GB|
DAT Series | LTO Series
SLR Series | VXA Series
|4mm, 8mm (MP)|
Ultrium (generation 1-5)
|38 to 6000 GB|
|Quantum, HP, Sony|
DDS Series | DAT Series
|DDS 4 mm||20 to 40 GB|
|IBM, HP, Quantum, Sony|
|Ultrium (generation 1-8)||200 GB to30 TB|
Any backup system.
Our expertise doesn’t end with tape; we also provide additional services to assist with the migration of backup systems:
|ARCserve®||Veritas NetBackup™||Veritas Backup Exec™||Microsoft® Backup|
|Catalogic® DPX™||Retrospect®||CommVault®||Data Protector|
We support any backup software, so if you don’t see yours here we can still assist you.
Total data security.
We’re trusted by thousands of organizations every year with even the most sensitive data. We can provide you with:
- Full chain of custody
- Strict security protocols
- Data returned on encrypted media
- Secure courier service
- Disposal of end-of-life media to government standards
Why tape migration?
There are a number of reasons why it makes sense to migrate tapes.
Tapes can store data for many years, decades even. But they don’t last forever, particularly if they’re not stored in a suitable environment. If, for example, the tapes are stored in a damp environment, the data can be wiped. As a result, they must be tested regularly to ensure they’re still in working order. If they are hard to read, you should migrate the data to avoid data loss.
Many legacy tapes also have outdated or rare formats. These tapes should be migrated onto more accessible systems, so the data is accessible if it’s needed quickly, for legal reasons for example.
Finally, if data is stored on tape hardware which is hard to maintain, it may be advisable to migrate it over to a newer backup environment.
Get a tape services quote.
Why work with Ontrack?
- World-leading data management services and software since 1985
- International coverage with 33 office locations for multi-site / jurisdiction cases
- 24/7/365 availability
- Over 30 years of technical experience and R&D capability to solve even the most challenging tape situations
- Proprietary software tools that work independently of backup infrastructure/software
- Strict security policies with chain of custody if required Q Security compliant - twice awarded by the US Department of Defense for outstanding security participation
- Why Tape Migration is Still Important
- Understanding the Importance of Tape Migration – Part 1
- Understanding the Importance of Tape Migration – Part 2
- Tapes: Questions and scenarios that could help you
- How to Migrate your Legacy Tape to a New Backup Solution
- The Top Five Triggers for Migrating Tapes
- Tape Services: More Than Recovering Data From Legacy Tapes