Tape migration for any tape format
Moving or consolidating your magnetic tape data to a new storage system can be a stressful experience. With Ontrack’s tape migration service, we will assist you through the entire process to ensure you know what you need to migrate and what you can dispose of.
Types of migration
If you’re looking to migrate your archive data to another storage medium, we can assist with the following services:
Tape to tape
We can help you migrate from one tape generation to another or consolidate multiple types of tape into one common format.
We can help migrate your tape data to disk or any other type of storage medium.
New backup system
If you are migrating to a new backup system we can assist in aligning all of your tape data so that it is compatible with your new infrastructure.
How it works
As part of a tape migration project, we can convert and consolidate your archives onto one, unified platform of choice.
Each project is tailored to your needs, but here’s just some of the services we can provide:
- Recovery of any inaccessible data
- Replication and de-duplication
- Catalogue and indexing report for future data mapping
- Development of custom software and tools for the retrieval of archived data
- Conversion of your legacy media in a secure, efficient and cost effective manner
- Accurate bit for bit copy of the source data, supplied back to you in the required format
Any tape format
From reel-to-reel to the latest LTO tapes, we can cater for any type of magnetic storage, no matter how new or old the technology is.
Even if your media is damaged, our engineers can help using proprietary tape recovery techniques. Here are just some of the tape formats we support, in any generation. Can’t see yours? Don’t worry, we can still help you.
|3500 MP Series||5 to 700GB|
AIT Series | SAIT Series
|8mm (AIT)||35 to 500GB|
|Oracle (formerly StorageTek)|
9800 Series | 10000 Series
|40 to 1,000GB|
DLT Series | SDLT Series
|80 to 800GB|
DAT Series | LTO Series
SLR Series | VXA Series
|4mm, 8mm (MP)|
Ultrium (generation 1-5)
|38 to 6000GB|
|Quantum, HP, Sony|
DDS Series | DAT Series
|DDS 4 mm||20 to 40GB|
|IBM, HP, Quantum, Sony|
|Ultrium (generation 1-6)||200GB to 30TB|
Any backup system.
Our expertise doesn’t end with tape; we also provide additional services to assist with the migration of backup systems:
|ARCserve®||Veritas NetBackup™||Veritas Backup Exec™||Microsoft® Backup|
|Catalogic® DPX™||Retrospect®||CommVault®||Data Protector|
We support any backup software, so if you don’t see yours here we can still assist you.
Total data security
We’re trusted by thousands of organisations every year with even the most sensitive data. We can provide you with:
- Full chain of custody
- Strict security protocols
- Data returned on encrypted media
- Secure courier service
- Disposal of end of life media to government standards
Trust the tape migration experts
We can help you with any tape migration project, no matter how complex.
Here's just some of the reasons why companies all over the world choose Ontrack to migrate their tape data:
- World leading data management services and software since 1985
- International coverage with 33 office locations for multi-site / jurisdiction cases
- 24/7/365 availability
- Over 30 years of technical experience and R&D capabilities to solve even the most challenging tape situations
- Proprietary software tools that work independently of backup infrastructure/software
- Strict security policies with chain of custody if required
Tape Migration FAQs
They don't call us the world leader for nothing. Join over a half million people and businesses who have trusted Ontrack to recover their data.
Get a free consultation
Find out how our tape migration solutions can help you take back control of your archive data.
Our team will contact you directly to discuss your requirements further.
- How to effectively manage and restore the legacy tape
- Tape-Services: More than just recovering data from legacy tapes
- Tape: the ultimate storage solution?
- The security risks associated with tape storage
- Tape archives: What you don’t know can hurt you
- Company Dark Data on Corporate Tapes
- Tape Storage Regains Its Cool Factor