First of its kind solution addresses the difficulties associated with restoring and searching sharepoint backups
Ontrack Powercontrols Product Suite enhanced to include SharePoint
Minneapolis – Jan. 13, 2009 – Kroll Ontrack®, the industry's leading provider of data recovery and legal technologies products and services, today announced the availability of Ontrack® PowerControls™ 5.1, a new tool compatible with Microsoft® Office SharePoint® Server 2007 that allows IT administrators to easily and efficiently search and restore items from a SharePoint database. Administrators familiar with Ontrack PowerControls software for Exchange can now apply the same time and cost saving recovery capabilities to this widely used enterprise content management (ECM) application.
"While SharePoint Server 2007 has advantageous ECM capabilities, the human management element all too often poses data loss risks to users and companies that rely on this popular data collaboration tool," said Jim Reinert, vice president of product development, Kroll Ontrack. "By way of accidental deletion or improper editing, the 100 million users of SharePoint Server 2007 often have needs to restore information and documentation from their backups. Regulatory and legal demands further reiterate the importance of archiving or restoring SharePoint data. With Ontrack PowerControls for SharePoint, restoration is no longer a technically difficult and involved process."
Specifically, the benefits of utilizing Ontrack PowerControls for SharePoint include:
- Minimizing the time to restore an individual document, item, list, folder or library. With the ability to granularly restore items from a full backup or snapshot, administrators no longer need to perform a full site restoration in order to locate items.
- Eliminating the same site restore constraint. Ontrack PowerControls for SharePoint enables users to restore to the original or alternate SharePoint locations, allowing restoration directly into a production SharePoint server or to a file system. This eradicates the need for an expensive recovery server and the extra steps required to separately import sites back into a SharePoint server.
- Minimizing the time to locate all matching specific criteria. With an advanced search feature that performs across all content databases, administrators can target a variety of criteria, including item type, keywords, subject, date, specific users, and file and attachment data.
- Maintaining data integrity of the SharePoint source and target. Ontrack PowerControls for SharePoint preserves the original metadata of the SharePoint source and target. It maintains data integrity by performing read-only operations on the source files and will not alter data when accessing the target.
- Minimizing the costs involved in restoring lost items. Access to an expensive recovery server is not required with Ontrack PowerControls. The tool can read existing content database backups, so there is no need to purchase proprietary software for creating the backups and no changes to your backup process is required.
Pricing for the Ontrack PowerControls recovery tool for Microsoft® Office SharePoint® Server 2007 begins at $495 for one content database. For more information about Kroll Ontrack's offering visit www.ontrackpowercontrols.com.
Through its Ontrack® Data Recovery products and services, Kroll Ontrack is the largest, most experienced and technologically advanced provider of data recovery products and services worldwide. Using its hundreds of proprietary tools and techniques, Ontrack Data Recovery solutions help businesses and consumers recover lost or corrupted data from all types of operating systems and media and storage devices through its do-it-yourself, remote and in-lab capabilities.
About Kroll Ontrack Inc.
Kroll Ontrack provides technology-driven services and software to help legal, corporate and government entities as well as consumers recover, search, analyze, produce and present data efficiently and cost-effectively. In addition to its award-winning suite of software, Kroll Ontrack provides data recovery, advanced search, paper and electronic discovery, computer forensics, ESI consulting, and trial consulting and presentation services. Kroll Ontrack is a technology services division of Kroll Inc., the global risk consulting company. For more information about Kroll Ontrack and its offerings please visit: www.krollontrack.com; www.ontrackdatarecovery.com; www.engeniumsearch.com; www.trialgraphix.com.
Ben Blomberg, 952-516-3617, Ben.Blomberg@krolldiscovery.com