Data loss from servers, hypervisors, and virtual machines can be daunting. With 35 years of virtual machine data recovery experience, Ontrack has recovered data from virtualized systems for thousands of enterprise customers worldwide.
Virtualization adds complexity to the data recovery process and when you need data recovered from virtualized environments, Ontrack is here to help.
Request an estimate
Because virtualized systems comprise a unique marriage of software and hardware components, the successful data recovery of inaccessible or lost data requires superior knowledge of hypervisors, host machines, storage devices, RAID arrays, file structures, applications, and more.
Ontrack's global team has years of experience and training, a host of proprietary tools, and specialized knowledge gained through unique working relationships with virtual machine software vendors and hardware OEMs that recommend our services. Ontrack virtual machine data recovery experts can help with following
- VMware ESX and vSAN (VMDK files),
- Microsoft Hyper-V (VHD, VHDX, and AVHDX files)
- Citrix Xen
- Oracle VM
Our engineers can handle every VM data loss scenario in virtualized systems including:
- Failed disks or damaged RAIDs
- Formatted or overwritten hosts and VMs,
- Deleted VMs or snapshots,
- Deleted files from within a VM,
- Corrupt Datastores or host volumes (VMFS, NTFS, ReFS, EXT, XFS, etc),
- Deleted snapshots
Whether it's a single virtual machine or an entire virtualized environment on enterprise storage, we can handle it all.
Our recovery capabilities are nearly unlimited, whether it is software corruption, device failure, or accidental deletion. Through unique capabilities, years of experience, and hundreds of thousands of successful data recoveries have established Ontrack's reputation as the global leader in the data recovery industry.
Common causes of data loss on virtual machines.
There are many causes of data loss. Fortunately, Ontrack has expertise to recover data from the following situations and more.
Examples of what we can recover:
- Re-formatted VMware ‘Datastore’
- Corrupted virtual disk files (VMDK)
- Corrupt VMFS Datastore volumes
- Deleted virtual disk files (VMDK)
- Deleted snapshots
- Traditional RAID and hardware failures
- VMware vSphere
- Virtual Volumes (VVols)
- Fusion for Mac
- Workstation Pro
- Corrupted file systems
VM system data recovery recommendations.
For best results, Ontrack recommends you follow these guidelines to protect you from further data loss. These recommendations can help preserve your chances for successful data recovery with Ontrack.
- Never install data recovery software onto a volume if you require deleted data to be recovered. Installing software, creating, or copying files to the volume can permanently overwrite data in the free space of the volume and make it unrecoverable.
- If critical data is inaccessible due to accidental deletion, device failure, or corruption, take the volume offline and unmount it immediately.
- If you choose to attempt data recovery on your own, always work with a backup copy or image file of your data, volume, or VMDK file.
- Re-initializing or reformatting a problematic volume will remove all data and complicate data recovery attempts.
- Only rebuild a RAID array if all of its member drives have been completely imaged, or you have a fully functional and verified backup.
- Never attempt to force a failed RAID member drive online unless you have all member drives imaged.
Looking for more resources on our virtual machine data recovery capabilities? Access the Virtual Machine Recovery Knowledge Base.
View frequently asked questions, case studies, blogs and more!
Our data recovery process.
Contact our specialists for a free consultation immediately if you’ve experienced data loss on the virtualized system.
Time can be critical, and the odds for successful data recovery are higher when no previous attempts have been performed. Decades of experience confirm that this is critical for saving your valuable data.
Our advanced cleanroom facilities increase the amount of data which can be recovered from damaged media. We perform any data recovery where the media needs to be uncased in our secure cleanroom environment to avoid further contamination and recover the maximum amount of data possible.
Remote Data Recovery
Remote Data Recovery (RDR) is the best option for cloud recovery due to the speed of the recovery process. It is the fastest was to access and recover your data. This cloud recovery is completed via a secure internet connection using proprietary tools. This method is not only quick, but cost-effective as well.
If your data is too sensitive to leave your location, or you want to outsource the service, we can help. We provide secure data destruction on site for any type of device. We can also dispose of the media for you and provide an erasure report for audit and compliance.
Virtual Machine Data Recovery FAQs
Virtual Machine Recovery Case Studies
Ontrack's global team has years of experience recovering virtual machines. With a host of proprietary tools and specialized knowledge gained through unique working relationships with virtual machine software vendors and hardware OEMs, we've become trusted virtual machine recovery experts. Check out our case studies library to learn more.
Jun 29, 2020, 09:51 AM
Feb 21, 2020, 10:04 AM
Feb 20, 2020, 16:20 PM
Service levels and pricing.
Complex jobs are customized—including timelines, to meet our customers’ requirements. Estimates for evaluations and recovery can vary depending on customer urgency, device type, capacity, number of files, transfer speeds, and complexity of the data loss situation.
StandardAverage of 7-14 business days
PriorityAverage of 2-5 business days
Emergency24/7 Until Completion
Flexible Payment Options
We understand data recovery is often an unexpected need, which is why we offer extensive payment plan options through Affirm.
Multiple Service Offerings
Ontrack offer's flexible service offerings to meet your unique needs and budgetary considerations. Our experts are on standby 24/7/365.
We want you to have control over your data recovery process. You'll know exactly what can be recovered before paying.
Start your data recovery now with a free consultation.
Contact our team of experts. Ontrack accommodates everyone – from the largest government or enterprise organization to an individual who may have lost their digital photos and everyone in between.
- VMware Data Recovery
- Virtualization: What are the causes of virtual system data loss?
- How to Best Protect your Virtual Environments from Data Loss
- Why Should you Erase Virtual Data?
- How to recover data from a virtual environment
- The Benefits of Database Virtualization
- Virtual Machine Gone Missing: Ontrack to the Rescue