Let our experts take the hassle out of migrating your magnetic tape data
Migrating or consolidating data from your magnetic tapes can be complex – it’s not always easy to know what you need to move and what can be disposed of. Our team of data experts takes the stress out of the process.
Types of Migration
If you’re looking to migrate your archive data to another storage medium, we can assist with the following services:
Tape to Tape
We can help you migrate from one tape generation to another or consolidate multiple types of tape into one common format.
Need to move your tape data to disk or another format of choice? We can migrate your data to any form of storage.
New Backup System
If you are migrating to a new backup system we can assist in aligning all of your archive tape data so that it is compatible with your new infrastructure.
How tape migration works.
As part of a tape archive migration, we can convert and consolidate your archives onto one, unified platform of choice.
Each project is tailored to your needs, but here’s just some of the services we can provide:
- Recovery of any inaccessible data
- Replication and de-duplication
- Catalog and indexing report for future data mapping
- Development of custom software and tools for the retrieval of archived data
- Conversion of your legacy media in a secure, efficient and cost-effective manner
- Accurate bit-for-bit copy of the source data, supplied back to you in the required format
Any tape format.
From reel-to-reel to the latest LTO tapes, we can cater for any type of magnetic storage, no matter how new or old the technology is.
Even if your media is damaged, our engineers can help using proprietary tape recovery techniques. Here are just some of the tape formats we support, in any generation. Can’t see yours? Don’t worry, we can still help you.
|3500 MP Series||5 to 700 GB|
AIT Series | SAIT Series
|8mm (AIT)||35 to 500 GB|
|Oracle (formerly StorageTek)|
9800 Series | 10000 Series
|40 to 1,000 GB|
DLT Series | SDLT Series
|80 to 800 GB|
DAT Series | LTO Series
SLR Series | VXA Series
|4mm, 8mm (MP)|
Ultrium (generation 1-5)
|38 to 6000 GB|
|Quantum, HP, Sony|
DDS Series | DAT Series
|DDS 4 mm||20 to 40 GB|
|IBM, HP, Quantum, Sony|
|Ultrium (generation 1-8)||200 GB to30 TB|
Any backup system.
Our expertise doesn’t end with tape; we also provide additional services to assist with the migration of backup systems:
|ARCserve®||Veritas NetBackup™||Veritas Backup Exec™||Microsoft® Backup|
|Catalogic® DPX™||Retrospect®||CommVault®||Data Protector|
We support any backup software, so if you don’t see yours here we can still assist you.
Signs you need to migrate data from your legacy tapes
Not sure if it’s time to migrate your legacy data over from tapes, here are some of the key signs that it’s time to migrate:
- You’re going to replace or upgrade your backup infrastructure – migration is required to ensure you can still access the data for compliance or regulatory reasons
- You’re going through a merger or acquisition and need to merge backup infrastructures with another company
- You need regular access to old tapes, but don’t want the costs involved with maintaining multiple backup environments
- You aren’t sure what data is stored on each tape and don’t have the internal resources to complete a request for information within the required time frame
- You can’t read your backup takes because the data is corrupt, or the files have been physically damaged.
If you need to migrate your magnetic tapes, our team of US data migration experts can help.
Total data security.
We’re trusted by thousands of organizations every year with even the most sensitive data. We can provide you with:
- Full chain of custody
- Strict security protocols
- Data returned on encrypted media
- Secure courier service
- Disposal of end-of-life media to government standards
How it Works
Our tape services consist of four main steps that make managing your archive data a straightforward task.
Get a tape services quote.
Why work with Ontrack?
- World-leading data management services and software since 1985
- International coverage with 33 office locations for multi-site / jurisdiction cases
- 24/7/365 availability
- Over 30 years of technical experience and R&D capability to solve even the most challenging tape situations
- Proprietary software tools that work independently of backup infrastructure/software
- Strict security policies with chain of custody if required Q Security compliant - twice awarded by the US Department of Defense for outstanding security participation
- Why Tape Migration is Still Important
- Understanding the Importance of Tape Migration – Part 1
- Understanding the Importance of Tape Migration – Part 2
- Tapes: Questions and scenarios that could help you
- How to Migrate your Legacy Tape to a New Backup Solution
- The Top Five Triggers for Migrating Tapes
- Tape Services: More Than Recovering Data From Legacy Tapes